Thursday, November 13, 2008

How To: Snowflake Craft

Photobucket

So I am kind of so-so about decorating for Christmas before its even Thanksgiving, but since we have had actual snow around these parts, I figured it wasn't too soon for a winter craft.

I stole this idea straight out of a Pottery Barn for kids magazine. It was super easy.

You just cut out some snow flakes-- first grade style, iron them flat, apply spray adhesive to the backs and smack em on a pretty piece of fabric so they pop (although it occurs to me that you could just back them with cute paper and use a gluestick too). Then frame the whole thing up in a cheap IKEA frame, and voila...

I only wish Avery were older so she could help (but not really...really I want her to stay little forever). But if you have kids who have mastered the art of scissoring, this would make a fun snowy day project.

PS...Are you sick of seeing that teal wall yet? Its the wall in my office/craft room, and directly behind my computer, so it gets abused for photographs. Maybe I'll venture into the rest of the house someday.

13 comments:

  1. LOVE it. You're always welcome to use my green wall. Are we on today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh... thanks for the idea! Destroy has an obsession with cutting, so this will be perfect for him.

    Now if only we had an IKEA...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of your crafts! I have neither the time for crafts nor the walls to place them (my husband hates crafty stuff like that on the walls), so I live vicariously through you :) My friend is still enjoying the onesies I made using your iron-on idea though. That was super fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just adorable Danielle,who would have thought!...I love the green one with parts of two snowflakes showing,great style, so you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UMMMMMMM, that was me ,mom ,on that last post. Looking for your address now so I can get that stocking pattern in today's out going mail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! Your ideas are so cute without being fussy.

    As a sidenote, I love thinking of Avery being old enough to be able to cut her own paper snowflakes! Oh I wonder what she will be like and talk like. But of course I love her now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jane I was just thinking after reading your comment that I totally do NOT wish Avery were older so that she could help. I want her to stay little forever! Not really, but I think I just wrote that without thinking about it. Although it is fun to wonder about what she will be like when she is older.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once watched a documentary of a little girl who never grew past six months old. Technically, she was like four or five, but some genetic fluke stopped all development at six months. I remember her mother saying: Don't ever wish they stay little forever. It might come true. (I know you don't really mean it, Danielle, and I myself have been guilty of saying the same thing, but I always think of that show when I hear it said.)
    And, BTW, I wish I had your talent and energy. You are as amazing as your MIL, Colleen.
    AuntLeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. i never get sick of seeing that wall because it is the color i want behind my bed in my plain plain plain jane bedroom. darling idea, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Danielle, so good to hear from you! As Anne probably told you I stalk your blog from time to time when I am feeling creative and want some inspiration on a project. By the way what did you use to paint that pink frame from IKEA? Was it regular paint or spray-paint? I am in the middle of revamping an old wooden lamp I picked up at a garage sale, not sure what to paint it with so it won't look runny. Wow, ok this turned out to be waaaayyyy to long. Anyways, your little family is just adorable and your daughter really could not be any cuter, those eyes are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm kind of embarassed about this, but I don't think I remember how to cut out a snowflake. Very cute idea though. I 'll have to have my 6yr old remind me how to make them because I have the perfect spot for that craft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I ADORE your teal wall!
    You have SUCH darling ideas, D. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...